Bike & Ride
Getting around Monroe County is easier than ever thanks to RTS's Bike & Ride Program. With a bike rack on every bus, you can take your bike just about anywhere - work, special events, parks and even your favorite bike trail! Just pedal to your nearest RTS bus stop and we will be there to pick you up, along with your bike, at no extra charge.
Using RTS's Bike & Ride racks is quick and easy. It usually takes less than 20 seconds to load your bike and board the bus!
We equip every RTS bus with a bike rack on the front. It's a great option for commuters or recreational cyclists. Make sure the bus stops completely and the bus operator sees you before you step in front of it. Never approach a stopped bus from the street site; you don't know when a driver is about to leave.
Here's how it works:
- Place your bike on its kickstand on the ground in front of the bus.
- Firmly grasp the silver handle located in the center of the bike rack and squeeze until the rack releases.
- Lower the rack to the open position.
- Place your bike into one of the tire slots.
- Pull the padded tension bar out and over one of the bike tires and place the tension bar on top of the bike tire.
- Make sure the bike is firmly in place; remove any loose items or valuables, including panniers, then board.
- When approaching your stop, let the bus operator know that you will be unloading your bike. Then exit through the front door.
- To remove the bike, simply lift the tension bar up and return it to the stowed position. Then remove your bike.
To learn more, please watch the video on how to use the Bike Racks on an RTS bus!
Bike & Ride Tips:
- Riders are responsible for loading, securing, and removing their bikes from the racks. For safety reasons, bus operators cannot leave the bus to assist bike rack users.
- Bike racks will accommodate most single-rider, two wheel bikes including children's and all-terrain bikes. Tandems, recumbants, mopeds and tricycles cannot be mounted.
- Children under 10 are not permitted to use bike racks unless accompanied by an adult.
- Bike racks are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Each rack can carry two bicycles.
- If the rack is full, please wait for the next bus.
- For safety reasons, always load and unload your bike from the curbside of the bus.
- To allow for faster boarding, please remove all loose items, including water bottles, computers and pumps from your bike before the bus arrives at the stop.
- Bikes are secured by the tires, not the frame, and two loaded bikes will not touch each other while on the rack. Personal locks, chains, or other securement devices cannot be used.
- Bikes are not allow inside buses unless they are collapsible and fold into the size of a standard piece of luggage.
- RTS is not responsible for any theft or damage while a bike is mounted on a rack or at any RTS facility.