The enclosed, climate-controlled, RTS Transit Center will be located on Mortimer Street, between North Clinton Avenue and St. Paul Street. Its unique design and user-friendly features will transform Rochester’s public transportation service and provide convenience, comfort and safety for customers as well as visitors to downtown Rochester.
The more than 20,000 daily downtown RTS customers will be able to transfer and wait for all RTS buses indoors - replacing the outdoor lineups that now occur along downtown streets. The 30 bus bays will accommodate up to 100 buses per hour, helping to keep passengers on their way and on time to their destinations. The RTS Transit Center is scheduled to open November 28, 2014.
The New RTS Transit Center features:
- Electronic displays of bus departure times
- Ticket vending machines
- Public restrooms, including family restrooms for parents travelling with children
- Information Center with staff to assist bus customers and visitors
- On-site Security staff
- Bike lockers in the adjacent Mortimer Street garage
The handicapped accessible Transit Center exceeds all ADA requirements, and includes:
- Audio assistance devices for the hearing impaired
- Large print signage/displays and visual cues for the visually impaired
The Timing is Perfect! The proposed schedule and route changes for the RTS Transit Center:
The beautiful new RTS Transit Center, opening on November 28th, 2014, is not all that’s changing for RTS: we’re also proposing changing our routes and schedules. We’re doing this to accommodate the additional time required to travel through the Transit Center and to enhance the customer experience!
For customers, these adjustments will make service:
- Easier to remember
- Simpler, more straightforward
- Convenient – with plenty of time to make transfers to the next bus
We invite you to learn more about the proposed changes online at www.rgrta.com/planning/servicechanges.